by Saint Theophan the Recluse
by Saint John of Kronstadt Press, 2014
Make me to understand the way of Thy statutes,
and I will ponder on Thy wondrous works.
He is asking further understanding of the way of salvation:
– how to discern good from evil
– to know the order in which to carry out the works of spiritual life
– how to attain the highest statutes (“wondrous works“): love towards enemies, courage of martyrs, unceasing prayer, total absence of care, renunciation of all bodily needs
– how to understand the statutes as prototypes of mysteries to come (cf. St Hilary)
– how to understand the inner meaning of outward statutes
To ponder = “to dwell, to be assiduously occupied with something, such as reading, thinking of God, mental prayer, handwork” (p.72), in order to get into the habit of doing these things.
To ponder also = “I will praise everywhere the marvelous ways of Thy statutes” (p.73)
Cf. Zigabenos (1050-1120), who wrote a commentary on the Psalms!
Check on https://independent.academia.edu/JohnRaffan
PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THESE NOTES
Any reflection on these quotes?