by Saint Theophan the Recluse
by Saint John of Kronstadt Press, 2014
Introduction to the 5th octave:
Letter He, means here, this is what it’s all about!
Everything is from God. From Him seek the outline:
– of the way of goodness v.33
– of knowledge v.34
– of strength v.35
Efforts are needed, so seek (v.33), keep (v.34), desire (v.35).
Importance of pure intentions:
– Do not harbor covetous intentions (v.36)
– Refuse delight in vanities (v.37)
– May only the fear of God inspire you (v.38)
Base thoughts can always seep through, so :
– Let penitence be the background of your life (v.39)
– Let your deepest desire be to please God (.40)
Set before me for a law, O Lord,
the way of Thy statutes,
and I will seek after it continually.
Teach, imprint in my conscience.
Asking that the law be accepted inwardly. Then I will have no other cares except satisfying the commandments.
Just like soldiers following route decide by the king, let’s follow His commandments to reach the divine city. Stopping in the good camps.
Inward law, written on the heart by the Holy Spirit. To follow with love.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THESE NOTES
Any reflection on these quotes?